Mz 5.1 Sclerophthora macrospora
|PATHOGEN: Sclerophthora macrospora (syn: Sclerospora macrospora)|
|HOST: Maize (Zea mays)|
|COMMON NAME: crazy top downy mildew|
|METHOD: Mz 5.1 Direct Visual Method (CIMMYT) (formerly Cf 5.1)|
|METHOD CLASS: Standard (A)|
|SAMPLE: : 400 seeds|
1. Place 50 seeds / replicate in a 250 ml beaker containing a combined solution of 5% NaOH and 0.02% Aniline Blue.
2. Soak seeds for approximately 36 hours to obtain adequate softening for internal tissue examination.
3. Pour resulting material into a 15 x 23 cm plastic box.
4. Squash embryos with a spatula and spread into a thin layer.
5. Examine under a microscope (at 50X magnification) for characteristic oospores that are hyaline to yellowish and 45-75 µm diameter.
Warham, E. J., Butler, L. D. and Sutton, B. C. 1995. Seed Testing of Maize and Wheat: a laboratory guide. CIMMYT. 1995. CIMMYT and International Mycological Institute. ISBN: 968-6923-70-5