National Seed Health System
Mz 15.1 Phyllosticta maydis
|PATHOGEN: Phyllosticta maydis (sexual: Mycosphaerella zeae-maydis)|
|HOST: Maize (Zea mays)|
|COMMON NAME: yellow leaf blight|
|METHOD: Mz 15.1 Culture Plate (formerly Cf 12.1)|
|METHOD CLASS: REGULATED NON-SEEDBORNE PEST|
|SAMPLE: 400 seeds|
1. Randomly select 400 seeds; 4 replicates of 100.
2. Wash thoroughly in running water to remove chemical seed treatment.
3. Immerse seeds in 1.0% (v/v) solution of sodium hypochlorite for 3 minutes. Triple rinse with sterile water.
4. Aseptically place seeds on PDA (potato dextrose agar), usually 5 to 10 seeds per petri plate.
5. Inoculate one PDA plate per replicate with a known culture of P. maydis.
6. Incubate samples at 25°C with 12 hours of light per day for 7 days.
7. Examine the plates for colonies typical of P. maydis.
8. Suspect mycelium and/or fruiting bodies should be examined under magnification to confirm the identity.
McGee, D. C. 1988. Maize Diseases. APS Press, St. Paul, MN.