National Seed Health System
Mz 13.1 Cercospora zeae-maydis
|PATHOGEN: : Cercospora zeae-maydis (syn: Cercospora sorghi var. maydis; Mycosphaerella sp.)|
|HOST: Maize (Zea mays)|
|COMMON NAME: gray leaf spot (GLS)|
|METHOD: Mz 13.1 Culture Plate (formerly Cf 10.1)|
|METHOD CLASS: REGULATED NON-SEEDBORNE PEST|
|SAMPLE: : 400 seeds|
1. Randomly select 400 seeds; 4 replicates of 100.
2. Wash thoroughly in running water to remove chemical seed treatment.
3. I merse seeds in 1.0% (v/v) solution of sodium hypochlorite for 3 minutes. Triple rinse with sterile water.
4. Aseptically place seeds on PDA (potato dextrose agar), usually 5 to 10 seeds per petri plate.
5. Inoculate one PDA plate per replicate with a known culture of C. zeae-maydis
6. Incubate samples at 25°C with 12 hours of light per day for 7 days.
7. Examine the plates for colonies typical of C. zeae-maydis.
8. Suspect mycelium and/or fruiting bodies should be examined under magnification to confirm the identity.
McGee, D. C. 1988. Maize Diseases. APS Press, St. Paul, MN.
CABI. Crop Protection Compendium cabi.org/cpc/datasheet/12299