National Seed Health System
Br 2.1 Phoma lingam
|PATHOGEN: Phoma lingam (sexual: Leptosphaeria maculans)|
|HOST: Brassica sp.|
|COMMON NAME: black leg; canker; dry rot|
|METHOD: Br 2.1 Freezing Blotter Method (STA)|
|METHOD CLASS: TEMPORARY STANDARD (B)|
|SAMPLE: 1000 – 10,000 seeds|
REVISION HISTORY: Version 1.1: Procedure #4. Botran solution correction
1. Prepare a solution of 0.05% Botran.
2. Place 1 sterilized 10×15 inch brown blotter paper on each 11×16 inch styrofoam tray.
3. On top of the brown paper, place two sterilized 11×9 inch white blotter papers side by side, slightly overlapping.
4. Add enough of the Botran (0.05%) solution to each tray to thoroughly wet the blotters.
5. Distribute the seed evenly over each of the trays by hand or with a vacuum planter.
6. Punch holes in each plastic ziploc bag.
7. Place each tray into a 14×20 inch plastic ziploc bag.
8. Incubate the trays at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours.
9. Freeze the sample for 8-24 hours.
10. Remove the trays from the freezer and incubate under NUV/Fluorescent light with a 12 hour photoperiod at 20-28 C° for 10 days.